I get countless questions about what gear I use, so here is the list of the gear that travels with me wherever I go.
- Canon 5D MKII
- Canon 24-70mm f2.8 This is the lens I use most, it really is a great multi purpose lens
- Sigma 20mm f1.8 This lens is quite amazing, I don’t use it as often as the above, but the more I get into shooting reportage type stuff or any time I’m in a tight space the Sigma comes out, yes there is a lot of distortion on a the full frame sensor, but that’s life, there’s nothing that I know is better and sometimes the distorted look is interesting
- Canon 580 EX II Flash + ST-E2 (Infrared transmitter) I think this flash is great for travel, it is not heavy and powerful enough for anything I do. The transmitter is not perfect, it doesn’t talk with the flash if you’re out of the line of sight, of course that’s how it’s meant to be, but sometimes its line of sight seems rather narrow. Still the trade off is that it’s tiny and can be used for focus assistance in dark situations.
- Photoflex LiteDome XS with its adjustable shoe mount This is a great piece of gear – it folds down and fits in a handbag and when it unfolds it’s big enough to provide great diffusion. Don’t know what I’d do without it these days.
- Photoflex Multidisc (5-in-1) Reflector (42 Inch) I used to use this very often, I don’t know what I’d do without it when I was photographing the Rabari tribe around West India. However since I got the flash I haven’t had that much use for the reflector. It’s still a great piece of gear, that’s extremely powerful when used with knowledge and it also folds down to a manageable size.
- “Rosco” Cinegels These are absolutely indispensible gels that I place in front of my flash almost every single time. Best of all they were free. I got a few sample packs from B&H Photo Video and they were barely the right size for my flash unit. I use these to simulate any particular light sources – from light bulbs to warm day light.